mary lockwood lampwork beads

mary lockwood lampwork beads
Click banner above to visit my site

Monday, February 1, 2010

Today is Jellyfish Day!!!

Because of my studio arrangement right now it is easier for me to keep my supplies organized and on-hand if I focus on one bead type for each torch session.  If you've noticed I had a day of mushrooms, then fish, then hearts; today is jellyfish day.  Makes me think of Spongebob--"Let's go jellyfishin'!"

These aren't going to be normal jellyfish beads though.  I've got some awesome IDEAS (aka future failures and obstacles to get over) that if I can get them to work will be something brand new from me.  I really really hope they turn out and that I get at least a couple pieces I can show.

Speaking of showing off good work, check out this guy that I found this morning.  I've been googly-eyed over paperweights for almost 10 years now, but of all the thousands I've seen- these are my all time favorite.  Man do I wish I could do glass like him, Mr. Gordon Smith: (scroll down a bit for the picture gallery)
http://www.gordonsmithstudios.com/Paperweights.htm

Well, I'm off to the torch.  Happy February!
~~Mary

5 comments:

  1. Those paperweights are incredible. I can't even imagine where one would start to make something like that. He's not bad to look at either - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's life caught under glass. That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them. And Jane...I was thinkin' the same thing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how you equated "ideas" with "future failures and obstacles to get over"! LOL!

    You know, just reading this kind of thing from a respected and talented lampworker makes me feel much better about my own setbacks; I feel like I can still manage on my path since I seem to be on the right track.

    Your blog is full of good stuff Mary. The Gordon Smith site -- OMG!!!! (Good thing I was sitting down when I saw the price) His work is absolutely without equal. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angie!

    Oh yeah....nothing I try ever works right the first 20 times. LOL I don't know if I'm a slow learner or if I do everything the hard way but I do know myself well enough to know that most of my bright ideas are merely jumping off points that will involve lots of tweeking before they are successful. LOL

    Thanks for the compliments on my blog. I hope I'm doing it right- I've never had much luck before. I'm kinda boring.

    Re- Gordon Smith. I'm still in shock and awe over his paperweights. I mean...OMG! I don't even care for snakes that much but the movement and scales and detail and...oh I could just go on forever. I love them.

    Thanks for visiting and commenting. I'm adding your blog to my blog list and I commented on your last post. Which, by the way, was a really long time ago. ;-)

    ~~Mary

    ReplyDelete